Annie leads support for Aberlourâ€™s Home Sweet Home campaign
Aberlour Child Care Trust, the largest solely Scottish children’s charity, has launched its Home Sweet Home campaign to help support young runaways, many who have experienced abuse or neglect at home and see running away as their only option.
Scotland’s runaway statistics** paint an alarming picture:
• One in 9 Scottish children run away from home before the age of sixteen. Of these;
• 50% run away from neglect and abuse
• One in seven are forced to leave home (or kicked out)
• One in six is physically and/or sexually assaulted whilst running
• Only one third of young runaways are reported to the Police
Scottish singer and supporter of the Home Sweet Home campaign, Annie Lennox, said:
“To me, a home should be a haven. A refuge. A place where you can feel completely comfortable and at ease. Home sweet home means a place that is uniquely special to you and the people you share your life with.
“This campaign highlights the worrying problem of young runaways in Scotland. With our support, Aberlour Child Care Trust can continue to help these youngsters who may be exposed to danger during life on the streets.
“My grandparents lived a few miles beyond the village of Aberlour and I have very special childhood memories of spending time there. Knowing that a happy childhood isn’t an experience that we all share, it’s vital that we recognise this issue and give others the chance to live in a home where they feel totally loved, safe and secure.”